Joy was born and raised in Brantford, Ontario and moved to Toronto in her early twenties in search of her independence and her purpose.
Working in the service industry gave her the means and the freedom to travel and explore Europe, South East Asia and India where she took her first yoga class in 2001.
Yet, it also fostered a lifestyle of over-indulgence and was a contributing factor to her addictions and by 2004, at the age of 27, she started on the path to recovery.
It was at that time she discovered yoga and the Downward Dog Yoga Centre. She began attending classes regularly and also began working for the studio doing some administration. By 2005 she was the General Manager and Teacher Training Program Advisor. She completed the 200hr Teacher Training program in 2006 and in 2010 she began teaching weekly classes as well as became part of the teacher-training faculty.
Joy was an integral part of growing and maintaining this community for the 10 years she was there. She resigned from Downward Dog in 2015 and it was at this time her and her husband moved back to Brantford to be closer to nature and to raise their daughter.
As a yoga teacher, she is strongly influenced by ashtanga yoga and what she has practiced and learned from her many years at Downward Dog. Her teaching is alignment focused, and these days she is also incorporating much of what she is learning from teachers and peers she deeply respects who are incorporating more functional movement, mindful strength building, and accessibility practices.
Joy’s classes always maintain a nice balance between flow, detailed alignment and attention to the breath. Her number one priority is to help people learn how to live more deeply in their body.
Joy is the founder of Be Moved Yoga & Wellness centre and she created this space to foster a community of people interested in learning and sharing what it means to live and move well.
- 2016 – present: Teacher at Sheridan College for the Faculty of Continuing and Professional Studies in the 200hr Hatha Yoga Certification
- 2016 – present: Currently completing certification with the Institute for the Psychology of Eating to become an Eating Psychology Coach.
- 2015: Completed 140hrs with the Coaches Training Institute to be a Co-Active Coach
- 2015 – present: Movati Brantford – Yoga Instructor
- 2014: Level 1, 2 & 3 Reiki – Certified Reiki Master – Dany Lyne
- 2014 – 2015: The Kyla Fox Centre | Eating Disorder Recovery Centre – Yoga Instructor and Reiki Practitioner
- 2010 – 2015 – Yoga Instructor & Teacher Training Faculty Downward Dog Yoga Centre
- 2005 – 2015 – General Manager & Teacher Training Program Advisor Downward Dog Yoga Centre